Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Thursday, September 21, 2006

Day 7: August 11, 2006

I know its been quite some time, but I will finally continue my retelling of my journey through Peru. Enjoy!

Camp la Joya

Today was another day spent in bed, as I was ordered not to work, and to spend the day recovering. Apparently it worked, thanks in part to my good friend Imodium and the prayers of my teammates.

On my way up to supper, I came across a young boy who was crying, as the irrigation ditch had sprung a leak and was flooding the field where he was watching the cows. So I went back and helped him dam up the leak. It just felt good to be able to lend a hand after being useless due to sickness for two days.

In the evening we hosted an outreach and showed a Billy Graham film. Afterwards I met up with my little buddy Rivaldo (I think thats how its spelled), and was forced to carry him on around my back, as he pretended to be riding a horse.

One thing that has really struck me about the Peruvians is how happy they are with so little. These guys have so little, yet they work hard all day, and then after a long day of work still have the energy to beat us at soccer. They are also an extremely friendly people. Canadians are supposedly very friendly, but we have nothing compared to the Peruvians. Even if you don't understand the language, they will still come up and talk to you, especially the children. It is just a real pleasure and an honor to be around them.

1 Comments:

  • At September 22, 2006 8:55 p.m., Blogger Carmen said…

    I was just thinking the same thing. The Peruvians are very friendly people (even compared to us Christian Canadians!) Thier love for us seems to surpass our love for them in some ways, which makes you even more blessed to know them! Amen!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home