Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Adventures In Being Huge

If the above photo is not a picture of pure determination, I don't know what is. Yesterday I had the privelege to join a friend of mine for a fun-filled day on the lake, doing some tubing and water-skiing. The first (tubing), was a successful endeavor, despite being sent skimming across the water for a good ways after wiping out and almost losing my shorts in the process. The latter (water skiing) was a valiant attempt on my part.

I gave it my best effort, not having realized how difficult of a sport water-skiing is (my friends made it seem so effortless!). After about 5-10 minutes, I was already exhausted, and if I hadn't been in the water, would probably be reduced to little more than a puddle of sweat. It was a little painful at times, and I realized just how little flexibility a guy of my substantial size has. And that was just my numerous attempts to get the skis onto my feet.

Next came the part of trying to remain upright while waiting for the boat to pull me out of the water. If you thought I was a little top-heavy on land, you should see me in the water with a pair of skis on, as I repeatedly kept rolling onto my side, a postion that might give me a face full of water, but would definitely not allow me to start skiing. Once I mastered that, I was ready to go.

Unfortunately for me, though my mind was willing, my body wasn't. Time and time again I desperately tried to get up out of the water on my two skis, but some things just aren't meant to be. Towards the end of the whole ordeal, I had inhaled so much water up my nose during my many wipeouts that I feared the lake would become too shallow for others to use, so I called it a day. I am not one who enjoys admitting defeat, but there are some things a guy like me apparently just isn't meant to do, and I can accept that fact. Further evidence of this is the fact that today I have somewhat lost the use of my arms and shoulders, as I discovered that I have many muscles that had been dormant all these years. Once again, I am huge. But I'd do it all again in a heartbeat, as there is no better way to spend a long weekend than in the company of friends, especially if those friends have a boat. So there you have it, my first installment of what I like to call Adventures In Being Huge.

1 Comments:

  • At July 06, 2006 4:16 p.m., Blogger Bassmaster Fehr said…

    I had to give it my best shot, as its no fun to be out-done by a girl. I put my pride on the line... and failed to make it up on skis. Oh well, can't win them all...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home