Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Sunday, August 20, 2006

Day 2: August 6, 2006

Lima

Woke up this morning and, after surviving the electrical shower of death, enjoyed a breakfast consisting mainly of foreign (to me, at least) fruit, some of which came from a cactus.

For church we attended Gracia Calvary Chapel, a small church located on the third floor of a building, right above a gym. Despite my not knowing the language, I felt right at home; like I belonged. Most of the songs were familiar, allowing me to stumble along in my broken Spanish. The worship team was incredible, especially considering the relatively small size of the church. I was awed at how the common bond of Christ supercedes any cultural or language barriers. I think that I felt more welcomed and at home than I do in most North American churches. The church felt so much more alive, and we were even able to witness a young man give his life to Christ at the end of the service. I think it is safe to say that I will miss that little church and the joy that they have.

Arequipa

The difference between Lima and Arequipa is like night and day. Lima is fast paced and hectic (especially the traffic), the air is hard to breathe from pollution, the weather is hot and humid, and there is always an incessant buzz in the air. Arequipa is much more relaxed and laid back, the air is crisp and clean, the weather is warm and dry, and there is a blanketing hush in the air. The streets have many speed bumps to further reduce the flow of traffic. Like Lima, every house is surrounded by high walls topped with barbed wire and/or spikes to keep thieves out.

The house that we are staying in is awesome! It has an open air courtyard, and a large flat roof that we can hang out on. We all had supper at some missionaries' home, and the evening was filled with broken conversations in both English and Spanish. And thus ended our first full day in Peru.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home