Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Wednesday, July 25, 2007

The Temptation To Do Nothing

This past year or two, as evidenced by my posts, I have become rather cynical of the current form that the Western church has taken on. However, I have seen some of these frames of mind that so anger me creep into my own life, without necessarily realizing it at the time. I am talking about the temptation to slip into a life of passivity, choosing to take the path of least resistance.

I found myself slipping into this mindset with regards to my practicum at the Mustard Seed this past year at school. Its not that I hated my practicum by any means; its just that those 5 hours every Sunday (just shows how it doesn't take much to desire the easier path) spent in service there often in my mind would have been more enjoyable spent relaxing with friends. However, I always enjoyed myself once I got to my practicum, as it was very rare that I wouldn't see God using me to reach out to those in need. But I did do my share of complaining about all the time requirements of my practicum when I was away from it.

It was during one of these times that my youth pastor said something that really hit home. He said that those of us in Bible school are there because we are pursuing a career in ministry, and that the small amount of time committed to our respective practicums is insignificant compared to the demands of being a pastor or missionary. He also said that going to a Christian school, practicum is often our only interaction with non-believers; without this vital interaction, we fail to carry out Jesus' ministry on this earth, as He came to seek and to save the lost. This really put things into perspective for me. Here I am so upset with churches whose members shy away from stepping out and taking risks, when committing a mere 5 hours a week to ministry seemed like a daunting task. I wish I could say that I no longer have these begrudging feelings towards my upcoming practicum, but I do. Perhaps its our fallen human nature to always be pulled towards the path of least resistance, or maybe I'm just lazy. However, at least now I shall attempt to keep things in perspective, as life really is the most exciting and rewarding when you are stepping out in accordance to God's leading.

2 Comments:

  • At August 14, 2007 10:00 p.m., Blogger drakefarmer said…

    I guess the only thing I can add to this post is, well said! I know I have been right there exactly thinking and feeling what you are right now.

    I wrote something that followed this way of thinking or a parallel path which dealt with humility. Check it out if you wish:

    http://theweightofglory101.blogspot.com/2007/05/humility-kingdom-inversion.html

     
  • At August 14, 2007 10:00 p.m., Blogger drakefarmer said…

    Sorry the link got cut off...

    http://theweightofglory101.blogspot.com/2007/05/
    humility-kingdom-inversion.html

     

Post a Comment

<< Home