Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Something to Think About

I just thought I would post some thoughts on a question that I have been pondering these last couple of months. Since it is looking increasingly likely that I will become a pastor, I believe this question is particularly relevant. My question is simply regarding the role and effectiveness of the so-called super/mega churches. While I have little to no experiences with these huge churches, I feel that with such large congregations, the people easily become just another number on the attendance sheets, rather than a unique individual with unique spiritual needs.

To me one of the essential features of a healthy church is the relational aspect among the congregation. The body of Christ is meant to strengthen and encourage each other, to support each other in all situations, to hold each other accountable, all the while enabling and equipping each person to carry on the ministry of Christ. I feel that in such a large church many people are alienated, and it becomes extremely difficult to establish these much needed Christian relationships.

Here is where my questioning comes in. Would it not be more effective for these large churches rather to break off into several smaller churches, better equipped to handle individual needs? By dividing into smaller localized churches, the church has a far greater reaching influence. People are more likely to wander into a church if it is in their section of the city rather than located a 30+ minute drive away. Also, different areas have different needs, and localized churches can respond specifically to the needs of their community. I know if/when I become a pastor, I wish to serve in a church where I can know a majority of the people by name, actually investing in them, as opposed to simply delivering a sermon every Sunday and that being the sum of my ministry.

Many people will argue that the mega churches are able to generate a far greater revenue from tithes and offerings, thus enabling them to support more missionaries, help more charities, etc. While this is all good in and of itself, this should not be the only reason a church exists. So often churches attempt to assimilate into the current culture that our churches end up more closely resembling shopping malls than places of worship. For example, one of the large churches in Calgary invested in a giant waterfall for their foyer; what I would like to know, is in what way does a giant waterfall further the Kingdom of God? Could not the money have been put to better use than to make the church building more physically attractive to the outsider? The church is not a business and should not attempt to function like one; the church is a living organism, the current manifestation of Christ on earth. Many times money simply isn't the answer; volunteering your time and energy to help someone is often a far greater witness than simply throwing money at a problem and hoping it goes away.

Maybe I'm overly cynical and biased when it comes to the idea of these mega-churches, but these are simply some of my thoughts on the issue.

3 Comments:

  • At July 15, 2007 7:19 p.m., Blogger Carmen said…

    Hmmm, insightful readings, Tyler. I have no answer for you since I too have no experience in mega churches. I like to be personal and not overwhelmed, but seeing thousands gathered together to worship God in one place at one time is an amazing experience. It gives me a glimpse of heaven. If these people are being strengthened and discipled within their huge churches, then I guess I have no further complaints. Maybe you could find some surveys done on the net about how satisfied people are in their mega churches and see if they really meet all the needs people have. But I agree with one thing- having a huge waterfall has no importance when you could give the money to others in need. And there are always people in need somewhere.

     
  • At August 14, 2007 10:13 p.m., Blogger drakefarmer said…

    I am not sure if I could comment much on this topic here and now, as we have had a lengthy conversation already on the topic. I would like to deal with this issue myself on my own blog as I think it would take some time and effort and much writing to really get into it. Maybe one day.

    But I will say this... I am glad to see that you are pondering such things and realizing that the mega church is not the answer to our church community. That more numbers does not always equal out to the better. That both the small and the big have there own issues and baggage to deal with.

    To further discussion if possible I would like to make a few small points: With small churches one can see that that church would have less resource to the outside world. As the mega church is able to pool its resources much easier it can be much more relevant to the people it's reaching.

    More so I think the small church, even to the extreme of house church, can fall into the trap of closing itself off to the rest of the Church community and be secluded to it's clicky self.

    On the other hand, One can see that an individual can lose there self in a larger church. Either to attempt to go unnoticed paying the penance each Sunday to work ones way to eternal life without being challenge. Or even worse that the church never even notices they are there because there is to many people to manage.

    Also with such large churches they can become to relevant and turn to the 'Shop Keeper' mentality of the 'mall church' which has turned into a pandemic in it's self.

    I guess this turned into a mini blog after all.

     
  • At August 30, 2007 11:00 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just hit your page, kind of by accident. I'm a christian so I stayed a bit. I just want to touch on something in this article.

    In 1 Kings 6 we read just 1 example of the Temple containing great earthly riches (probably billions in today's terms). King Solomon decked the place out to glorify God! Proverbs states that 'the house of the righteous containts great treasure'.

    I think it's important to do everything with excellence, which can include putting nice things into churches like waterfalls and so on. They don't 'get people saved', but non believers can see that we are doing things to serve a great God.

    I attend Springs church in Winnipeg sometimes and at most every service that I go to people get saved! I praise God! Is it because of the coffee shop? no. The architechture? no. The music? no. It's because the gospel is preched.

    Basically, look at the fruit to know the tree. If a 'megachurch' is getting people saved. It is good.

    Love to you!
    T.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home