Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Monday, January 29, 2007

Another Day at the Seed

Well, yesterday was my third week of practicum at the Mustard Seed. It seems like every week I would much rather just stay home than spend my entire afternoon working at my practicum; however, once my shift starts, I always enjoy myself and am glad I took the practicum I did.

The first part of my shift began just like any other, where my main role was simply to hang out and chat with those people there for the lunch meal. I have been there enough that I am starting to recognize and get to know some of the regulars, all of whom are friendly guys. Some of them surprisingly know where Cold Lake is! Yesterday, after talking to some of the guys about hockey, life, etc., I got into a long conversation with a man that I had previously befriended. I sat there for what must have been 15-20 minutes, as he basically told me his entire life story, and told of his daily struggles with addictions and life in general on the streets. I cannot share any details for privacy reasons, but it was a very sobering experience. I felt so helpless, as not only could I not directly relate to his experiences, but I did not know how to help him in a way other than just by listening to him and praying for him. The sheer hopelessness and depression of his situation was something that I was not used to.

Another thing that struck me was that he was willing to pour out his life story to me when I had only met him two weeks earlier. From what I understand, it is extremely difficult for street people to trust anyone, and for him to place this kind of trust in me was a little mind-boggling. After all, I am nothing more than a student working there once a week for a practicum; I am not some kind of counselor or chaplain with the qualifications to help him. Maybe that is why he opened up to me, because I am not as intimidating as someone older with greater qualifications. Regardless, it was a great experience, and each week at the Mustard Seed God uses me in different ways. I am extremely happy that I chose to do my practicum there rather than simply become a youth leader at a church like the majority of my classmates. It is a real eye-opening experience, and I think I am learning more through my practicum than I am through my classes. To close out this blog, I would simply like to share the lyrics to a song by the band Killswitch Engage. For those of you who have not listened to them, their music consists of a great deal of screaming and yelling, backed up by heavy guitar riffs and pounding drum beats; however, unlike many metal bands, their lyrics are powerful and uplifting, not despairing.

Reject Yourself
Their cries are blown away with the wind.
How passive can we be before humanity is lost?
Turning our backs on those who need love.
We must not rest while healing is needed.
Tear down the veil that bars your heart from feeling this.
Dedicate yourself. Give your souls to compassion.
With open arms embrace this heart.
With open eyes behold the truth.
Embrace this life. So little time is left.
We must be relentless in our pursuit of those in torment.
Tear down the veil that bars your heart from feeling this.
Dedicate yourself. Become the voice of compassion.
With open arms embrace this heart.
With open eyes behold the truth.
Embrace this life. Can you reject yourself?
Can you feel their agony?
In a world that feeds on disregard. Heal the broken hearted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home