Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Friday, December 30, 2005

2005: My Year In Review

As a new year approaches, I feel that it is time that I stood back and reflected on this past year. I am not a man who believes in New Year's resolutions; if you want to change something about yourself, why should you wait until a new year? I call it procrastination. Anyways, here are are some of the important things that happened to me this year, for anyone who cares.

This past year has been an emotional rollercoaster ride for me, as I have endured both some of the toughest periods of my life and some of the greatest moments of my life. It was just over a year ago that my mom was diagnosed with cancer, and thus began the toughest 6 months of my life. Diseases like cancer are something that always happen to "other people", until someone you know gets it, and then reality hits. It was a rough time for my entire family, but I thank God that my mom has experienced a complete recovery, as she finished up the last of her treatments in May. Through it all, I was taught what it means to have to rely on God, and He didn't disappoint. After the initial shock, God just filled me with such a great sense of peace that I didn't worry a lot about the situation, but it was still far from easy. I also learned that our plans are not necessarily God's plans, and that He can intervene whenever He pleases.

After that, things began looking up for me. I got a job at the golf course in May, which was like a dream come true. What more could I ask for than to be paid for being at what has become my second home over the summer? Some of my best memories of the summer are of times spent on the golf course with good friends, and fun with golf carts. I am proud to say that I have never hit a golf ball INTO the pro-shop (cough, Nippard, cough, cough). I also spent two awesome weeks at Belle View, one as a counselor and the other as a proud member of Cabin 6, which is perhaps the largest cabin camp has ever seen.

Towards the end of the summer, my dad announced his resignation after 18 years serving as pastor of our church. This came as a huge shock to me, as Cold Lake is the only home that I have ever known. But its now so bad for me, as I will be living in Calgary come September.

I almost forgot. This spring I graduated from high school! The downside is that I have now entered the real world, and am now working full-time at National Oilwell here in town. To me it still seems strange to technically be considered an adult, as I am not sure that I like this thing called work. Then in October, something happened that I had been waiting over an entire year for...HOCKEY CAME BACK!!!!! Anyways thats some of the important things that happened to me this past year. Sorry if I bored you, but if you were bored enough, you wouldn't have read this far. Happy New Year!






3 Comments:

  • At January 02, 2006 11:30 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    hahaha... i remember nippard hitting the ball into the old proshop at palm springs... hahaha!

     
  • At January 06, 2006 2:23 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Not at all boring! Tyler you are truly amazing. Have you considered writing as a profession? Have I already asked you that?
    Anyway... here's to rollercoaster years that lead us closer still to the throne of God's and the person we call home. I pray 2006 is absolutely incredible for you!!

     
  • At January 07, 2006 8:13 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Who is the sharp-dressed young man on the right in the picture? Is there a chance that he could be single?

     

Post a Comment

<< Home