Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

Running On Faith

Lately I've been pondering the topic of faith, and how it affects my life. As I begin to plan for my future, I wonder if I have enough faith to fully trust that God has a perfect plan for my life, because right now, I have no idea what my future holds. While many of my friends are off at university preparing for their future careers, I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up (as we used to say as kids, although I still don't feel grown up). This is where faith comes in. Jermiah 29:11 says, "For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Yet, while I know this to be true, there is a part of me that still doubts, because I cannot foresee these plans, or even control them. I am the kind of person who likes to have a definite answer for everything, and I cannot stand uncertainty.

Then, at the Ripple Effect, Pastor Shawn pointed out that faith includes both certainty and uncertainty, and that really hit home. He then illustrated his point with the stories of Shadrach, Meshach, and Abednego (Daniel 3) and of Peter walking on the water (Matthew 14:22-33). I realized that just because I am uncertain about something, it doesn't necessarily mean that I am lacking faith. I like an analogy that I found in the book The Barbarian Way, by Erwin McManus. In short, it says that a rhino has such poor vision, that it can only see thirty feet in front of its own nose. It has no idea what lies at thirty-one feet, yet that does not stop it from charging ahead. He then goes on to say that as Christians, this is how we should live our lives; trusting God's guidance and following His direction every moment, even if we are unable to see where it may lead us.

This fits in with what Jesus said in Mark 10:15: "I tell you the truth, anyone who will not receive the kingdom of God like a little child will never enter it." A child is able to trust people completely when they tell them to do or not to do something, knowing that there must be a reason for every rule. They are content, at least at a younger age, to simply accept the facts without questioning why. They do not comprehend the possible consequences of disobedience, but follow their parents instructions never the less. It is this kind of child-like faith that I desire in my own life, being able to completely trust in God's word, never having any shred of doubt. I think that Jars of Clay summarizes these ideas in their song Like A Child, which read:
They say that I can move the mountains
And send them falling to the sea
They say that I can walk on water
If I would follow and believe
With faith like a child

And with that I will leave you.

2 Comments:

  • At December 08, 2005 2:03 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Excellent! your an great writer. You made some wonderful points. I liked your point on faith... Why do we always think that having faith is to fully trust in or completely know something. I mean if a mustard seed of faith is enough to move mountains then I'm sure that if we believe in God and Jesus Christ that that is more than enough faith for anyone to need. After all it's not about our faith in something (e.g. for a mountain to move) but it's about our faith in Jesus (He who is able to move the mountain).

    Anyway good blog keep 'em coming!

     
  • At December 08, 2005 10:39 p.m., Blogger Keller said…

    Good blog Tyler.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home