Life In The Fehrway

Thoughts from a big guy with a bigger appetite who serves and even bigger God.

Sunday, December 18, 2005

I Just Wanna Be A Sheep...

Lately I've been thinking about sheep. I know this may sound a little odd, but hear me out. To me sheep seem to be a very stupid and helpless animal. Without the guidance of a shepherd or sheepdog, I don't know if they would ever be able to find suitable pastures to eat. They are completely unable to defend themselves against predators, although I'm told that they smell extremely bad, which may act as a sort of defense. For all intents and purposes, sheep appear to be useless creatures when left to themselves without a shepherd or a sheepdog to guide and protect them. You may be starting to figure out where I am going with this, but if not, I will explain myself.

In the Bible, it says that "We are his people, the sheep of His pasture." (Psalm 100:3) At first glance, it would appear somewhat insulting to be compared to an animal of such seemingly low intelligence. But upon closer examination, I believe that it paints a very comforting and reassuring picture of our Creator. You see, like sheep, we as Christians must rely on Someone else to guide and protect us throughout our entire lives. Jesus himself said "I am the Good Shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me- just as the Father knows me and I know the Father- and I lay down my life for my sheep." (John 10:14-15) Who better to look after us than the One who knows us completely? Like sheep, we are unable to live life on our own, and it is only through the guidance of the Good Shepherd that we can find fulfillment and contentment.

Psalm 23 beautifully describes this relationship between the Good Shepherd and His sheep:
1 The LORD is my shepherd, I shall not be in want.
2 He makes me lie down in green pastures, he leads me beside
quiet waters,
3 he restores my soul. He guides me in paths of righteousness for his
name's sake.
4 Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear
no evil,
for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me.
5 You prepare a table before me in the presence of my enemies.
You anoint my head with oil; my cup overflows.
6 Surely goodness and love will follow me all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD forever.
What I like about this passage is that it shows that we do not need to worry about our future, because is all in God's hands and He will "guide us in paths of righteousness". Because of His presence, we are even able to eat in the sight of our enemies without fear. Like sheep, we are able to completely trust and rely on our Shepherd to guide us through life. In a world where everybody wants to be in control of their own destiny, I find comfort in the fact that I do not have to worry about it, as it is in the hands of One far greater than I.

6 Comments:

  • At December 18, 2005 7:26 p.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    know the other great thing about sheep... people seem to love them! Even though they are alot of work, and stink a little, and ARE kinda dumb... I've never met anyone who named sheep as their least favorite animal. At Capernwray they have a farm - with sheep, and although I didn't love navigating around their poop just to walk the grounds... they would be sorely missed if they weren't there. SO many times God used those sheep to teach me a lesson. So many times when things were not well in my world I could still look outside into the great park, see a few sheep dotting the hills, and somehow I felt calmed and loved and even dare I say it... content. I love those smelly wooly, silly things... especially number 11...

     
  • At December 21, 2005 2:22 p.m., Blogger gospeloflove said…

    tyler I just wanted you to know that John is awesome! You should read his blogs. They are all I'm reading these days(sometimes the Bible but then only the parts John includes in his blogs)

     
  • At December 21, 2005 2:31 p.m., Blogger gospeloflove said…

    Good blog Tyler... but chris is right, you really should read John's blog, it's awesome!

     
  • At December 25, 2005 2:56 a.m., Blogger Andrew and Tyler's European Peregrination said…

    Merry Christmas!!! And just to let you know, your blogs are awesome! Everybody comes here and tells you how awesome John's blogs are, and I bet they are, but yours are great. Sheep are a favorite animal of mine. Right next to the Llama, ostrich, monkey, and now after riding one, the elephant. Anywho, I just get excited when I read these passages about us being the sheep, and Him being the Good Shepherd. Why? I think it's comforting to know that God is always there to guide us, to protect us, and to care for us. One last thing... what is so important about number 11? and Grace, will you still marry me? So, have an awesome holiday, and I will send you that nice Thai dress you asked me for as soon as I can!

     
  • At December 25, 2005 9:56 a.m., Blogger Bassmaster Fehr said…

    Actually, those comments were just John pretending to be Chris and Kyle, in a very desperate attempt to get more people to read his own blog.

     
  • At December 27, 2005 11:46 a.m., Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I just want to be loved ba.. ba. ba. ba...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home